Wooden joinery is appreciated for its charm but has a significant drawback compared to PVC and aluminum joinery: this material is sensitive to humidity and requires rigorous maintenance. Indeed, wooden windows can last over 50 years provided they are properly maintained. But poor maintenance can drastically shorten the life of your woodwork.
“We want to provide choices and alternatives that are appropriate for our clients. Our contract services are the ideal solution for you if you value excellent customer service and a commitment to deliver your job correctly the first time! Let us show you what you get when you hire us to complete a project.”
Among the most frequent damage to poorly maintained windows, patio doors, or wooden doors are:
- The paint peels off and comes off the frame and the sash: the wood needs to be stained regularly so as not to be damaged.
- The wood rots in bad weather: the outer side of the sash and the frame are exposed to the sun as to the rain. Without maintenance, wood deteriorates very quickly and begins to rot. This can lead to infiltration and sealing problems.
- The opening works poorly: by forcing you to close or open your wooden double-glazed or single-glazed windows, you damage the leaves. You should know that the woodworks can swell or retract, causing problems with opening and closing the plate.
- Broken glass: a broken window becomes an escape route for hot air. The joinery no longer provides thermal insulation and sound insulation.
- Poor insulation: the thickness of the glazing like healthy wood guarantees good thermal and acoustic comfort.
Consequently, it is essential to keep your wooden windows in good condition not to experience difficulties in opening and closing, mold, and other moisture or waterproofing problems. The appearance of fungi near the frame or even paint that blisters, peels, or comes off are the first signals that should alert you.
Renovation of wooden windows depending on the problems
Regardless of the type of wood, it is possible to carry out renovation work on wooden windows. This is also the main advantage of wooden joinery, and you always have the possibility of restoring them in perfect condition with wood filler or putty. These filler and repair plasters allow you to fix the wood: the missing piece of wood, angle, hole, etc.…